Monday, March 31, 2008

"Crane Man" by Will Rogers


*This is the first video to be shot using the filmlab's new Sony HD Camera(!)

---

I had the opportunity to take a class with filmmaker Lourdes Portillo, where she asked each of the 6 students to make a three minute film about someone at Stanford, someone we wouldn't typically notice in our every-day lives.

I decided to do my project about one of the bus drivers at Stanford. His name is Will, and he honks his horn every time he passes someone he recognizes, waving to them with a smile.

But after a few weeks of logistics, I realized that Stanford won't let me take video footage from inside any of their buses. Liability. And with the quarter system, I only had about 4 weeks until my finished product was due.

So I quickly turned my focus toward the first most beautiful thing I could find: the tower crane.

At that point, I hadn't even met Cam...

Nearly all of the interview footage in this film comes from a conversation that took place literally 5 minutes after Cam and I met for the first time. It's been interesting getting to know him since, and I'm tempted to expand the film...

But for now, this is how it looks.
I hope you enjoy it, as I definitely enjoyed making it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really like it Will. First I was surprised by the music you chose, but it creates a great atmosphere. And Cam is a cool cat. I like him, too! :)
that's some nice piece of work you got there, buddy!